Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Pre-Thanksgiving fun...

We started our day off with Ella crawling into bed with me and asking me to take her nail polish off.  "We'll do that later, okay Ella."  "Mom, it's sticky.  Take if off."  "Why is it sticky."  "Because....."
That's when I saw not pretty pink nail polish that Nana put on her, but this white blobby nail polish.  Hmm.  Now what the hell could that be.  Ahhh...white out.  Great.  She painted her fingernails with white out. 

Moving on. 



So we started making our turkeys for Thanksgiving.  I got this idea from www.thecraftycrow.net.  I get most of my ideas from there. 
We got these leaves a few weeks ago on a walk.  I've had them pressed in my old Clinical Dietetics text books...good thing they're getting used for something!

Payton believes in using a lot of glue.  Somehow we went through 1/2 a new tube of glue. 





The end result is pretty cute.  Would've been better with crafty eyeballs, but the paper worked fine.  I'm really proud of Tim for letting me tape all our projects to the wall, too.  That's a big step.  He said the kids have destroyed the walls enough now with food that it really doesn't matter anymore.  The kids like having their little art gallery.




















The finished turkeys.  And Maddie didn't eat any glue!!  Meanwhile, I was discovering my new favorite snack that I can make.  Cinnamon-roasted Almonds from www.allrecipes.com.  Holy moly they are fantastic.  It's my contribution to tomorrow's dinner provided I can keep my hands off them until then. 

Recipe for Cinnamon-roasted Almonds
1 egg white
1 tsp. vanilla
4 cups whole almonds
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

1.  Preheat oven to 250 degrees.  Cover cookie sheet with parchment paper....do not skip this!!!  Lightly grease pan before putting paper down so it sticks to the pan better.
2.  Lightly beat egg white until slightly fluffy, and vanilla and stir.  Stir in almonds and coat with egg mixture.  In a separate bowl, combine sugars and cinnamon.  Sprinkle into almond mix and toss to coat.  Spread evenly over pan making sure they're in one layer.
3.  Bake for 1 hour, stirring about every 20 minutes.  Allow to cool and store in airtight container.  Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. The almonds look delicious! They'll make a nice neighbor to my sugared pecans on the holiday treat table, too. Do they make the whole house smell wonderful when they're baking? Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete