Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Everest

Another little ditty about my everyday domestication.  I don't control these thoughts, they run through my head as I'm doing my chores. 

Everest
This is my Everest
My mountain that I climb
Everyday it looks the same
It toys with my mind.

I start with the darks
then traverse across the whites.
Only after the delicates are done
do I find some dirty tights.

The hike is getting tough
but my will is very strong
Then Ella comes to help
I ignore that she does it wrong.

Up higher and higher I go
I can almost see the top.
The air is getting thin up here,
but I know I cannot stop.

Barrel through the jeans,
and stain stick the shirt.
Honestly did Payton
take a soaky bath of dirt?

Finally, oh finally
I stand upon the pile.
Can one even feel accomplishment
hovering over a dirty mile?

Suddenly I feel the ground
shift beneath my feet,
an avalanche of laundry,
a catastrophe I can't beat.

I tumble past the dishcloths,
it sweeps me further down.
Socks and towels and flannels,
through every filthy town.

Ass over elbows,
it finally lets me rest,
my head shoved through the armhole
of my favorite dark green vest.

Will my family ever find me,
buried in this stinking mound?
Surely they'll notice no dinner
and with that I will be found.

Nothing left to do now.
Maybe I'll take a rest,
knowing that tomorrow
I'll have a new Everest.

No comments:

Post a Comment