Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Pie in a Jar...WHAT?!

So starting last year, the Ryan family (my husband's side) decided that instead of exchanging presents that you buy, we would exchange presents that we made, as in food.  It was a hit and has been something to really look forward to.  My husband's gift this year was a brisket that he smoked for 12+ hours (always has to be some form of smoked animal with him). 

Well this year has been a big year of pies for me.  I've found a new art form in them....and they're delicious!  So I decided to do some form of pie.  When I saw the recipe on www.ourbestbites.com for Pie in a Jar, I knew destiny was calling me. 


Ahhh yes my little jar...great things are meant for you.  Great great things.

So you start with the short squaty jelly jars.  I used Bell jars from Ace Hardware.  They're freezer safe and also used for pressure canning, so they can stand up to the freezer-oven torture that I inflict on them.

Then you go for the dough.  I have the most amazing dough recipe from America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook....will I release that information on my blog...no.  The cookbook is too amazing.  Do yourself a major favor with that purchase.  It's the anything/everything good cookbook.  Moving on.  I take a special moment before rolling out the dough for a quick shout-out to my Grandma Reiter.  See, that's her rolling pin.  Another reason I have awesome pies....divine intervention.

So you roll out the dough and shove it into the little jars.  You don't have to grease the jars because of the natural Crisco/Butterness of the dough.  Just paste it in there like Play-doh.

Then for the goodness inside.  I made two different pies for my jars:  Apple and Cherry Blueberry.  Both amazing.

Convinced yet?  This is a terrific idea, I'm telling you.

YUMMMMMMMM

Then for the toppers.  You can take a jar and press it into rolled out dough for the tops as long as you cut vents, or you can go all fancy like with these little dough cutters from Williams-Sonoma.

Now they're ready for the freezer.  No cooking needed.  Just cap them tight and stick them in the freezer.  When you have a hankering for pie, you just take your jar out, put it in the oven cold at 375 degrees and wait about 45-50 minutes.  Then you have fresh decadent pie.  Best.  Idea.  Ever.

The carnage after 2 1/2 dozen pie in jars.  Now what could make this mess worth it?...This horrid mess that's going to take exactly 45 minutes to clean up?....
Oh yea...the leftover pie in jars.  Apple for me and Cherry Blueberry for my hubby.  Totally worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment