Saturday, September 27, 2014

Little by little


I finished my office area.  Finally.  I'm slowly starting to figure out how I want to decorate this house.

What I want:
1.  Warm
2.  Comfortable
3.  Colorful
4.  NOT cluttered
5.  NOT a museum
6.  Functional
7.  Classy
8.  That funky Kelly spark

Really not easy to get all those ideas into one room.  What happens is I have one idea that seems simple enough, but then....
For example, I have leftover metal from Tim's grandpa's old machine shed that Tim used to roof in his machine shop and I really want to line one of my kitchen walls in it like so....
...except it would be on a large fairly empty wall in the kitchen.  I love it and really REALLY want to do this. 
But...
If I did the metal wall, the entire kitchen of oak cabinets would look off.  They don't match this rustic look. 
So....
If I really wanted to do the wall, I might have to repaint not only the kitchen walls, but repaint the cabinets white.  I love white cabinets.  Every kitchen pin I have on Pinterest have white cabinets. 
But....
If I paint the cabinets white, I can't undo it if I don't like it AND the cabinets will show every grubby little fingerprint that touches it.
So...
Maybe I don't paint the cabinets white and instead of walling the kitchen in metal, I wrap a kitchen island in metal
But...I would have to probably custom make an island and I....don't know how to do that.
So...
I'm screwed. 
Not really though, I have a pretty handy husband and maybe I just find an island I like and wrap the damn thing in metal and call it good. 
This is how I go around and around with every freakin room in this house.  It was SO easy to decorate the other house because I really wasn't worried about screwing it up...we weren't staying!
Now we are here for good and this place is a beautiful, grown-up person's house, and I still totally see myself as an awkward kid....who has awkward kids. 
This place deserves to look nice, organized, clean, classy....with just a touch of my taste. 
I go a lot to the blog Under the Sycamore * www.ashleyannphotography.com * because I am in love with her style.  I would completely turn over this house to her to decorate and not sweat it a bit.  Not only is she an incredible photographer and decorator but she has an amazing blog about her family.  She also inspires me to be a more active mother...she makes being a parent look as beautiful as it is. 
Anyway.
Long story short, or actually short story made incredibly long....
I did finish getting an office together.  It's against the wall that I would potentially like to cover in metal at which time it will all have to be rearranged. 
The pics are way too dark but I'm impatient and didn't want to wait until the next morning.
My favorite part is the lamp.  I was my dad's in his music room and the lamp shade makes the most perfect warm yellow/orange light.  Cozy, comfortable, functional...I got some of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment